Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:28:25 +0100
From:      Mark Rowlands <fuc952d@tninet.se>
To:        Robert Suetterlin <robert@mpe.mpg.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: System hangs during boot (if hd connected to promise 100TX2).

On Friday 11 January 2002 4:07 pm, Robert Suetterlin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 	I have a proliant ml 350, on which I try to install freebsd.  During the
> initial bootup the system hangs.  I use FBSD4.4-release.  I tried
> installing from cdrom (iso images from freebsd.org) and over FTP.
>
> When I unplug a Promise UDMA100 TX2 Controller which is in the machine, it
> boots ok.   If I replug the Controller and unplug all connected harddrives
> it still boots.  When I connect any Harddisk to any IDE-Channel it hangs
> during bootup.
>
> I have a second ml350 with almost identical hardware (less memory and an
> additional multiport serial IO) which also contains an Promise U100TX2 and
> has one HD connected.  That second machine boots fine.
>
> Both ml350 have identical Bios Settings and IRQ Settings (except the second
> machine uses one more IRQ for the multiport serial card).  And I configure
> the kernel on both machines identical:  I remove all Network Adapters, I
> remove all but floppy from storage, I remove PC Card.  I also tried not
> removing anything, not removing PC Card, additionally removing Parallel
> Port, but with no real effect.  Eccept that adding more kernel parts delais
> the hang, and removing Parallel Port makes it occur earlier.
>
> I really do not know what to diagnose next, booting with `boot -v` didn't
> reveal any problems.  The machine hangs while output is still in bright
> mode.  As it is mentioned very often in boot hangs I tried `set
> hw.pcic.intr_path=1` and `set hw.pcic.irq=0` but with no visible effect.
>

> Regards,  Robert S.

have you tried takeing the "faulty" card and trying that in the other
machine?  just to whether the problem is card or machine related?

Are the cards / bioses  identical?, I have read about two versions of this
card existing, the older one of which works fine in 4.x-release.

if you can install to one disk, and then cvsup to -stable and then plug the
drives in? ISTR there were some ata patches applied for the version 2 of this
card.

--
Even nowadays a man can't step up and kill a woman without feeling
just a bit unchivalrous...