Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        lchamber@ec.camitel.com (Luc Chamberland)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two problems I have with FreeBSD security

> >I'm actually interested in a 'secure' release of FreeBSD, with daemons not
> >running as root, no complicated mailers, few to no setuid binaries -- in
> >essence, what I do to my FreeBSD systems as soon as I install them.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I have recently started a very demanding job and do not have
> >the time to contribute to such a project.  My apologies.
>
> The FreeBSD on a scale of 10, how many points do you gives for security?
> FreeBSD seems insecure for you!, this is same for all intruders!!!!

I'd give FreeBSD an 8.  Usually, patches for security holes come out very
quickly, and the developers are reachable.  I took one point off of ten
because of the legacy issues (refusals to relinquish bin ownership of files
in /bin and /usr/bin) and one for too much desire to cater to new users at
the expense of security (setuid root ppp/sliplogin... Why can't these be
setgid uucp to open the modem device?)

If the developers handled these two issues, I think I'd upgrade my rating to
a 9.5.  :-)

--
Nate Lawson                  "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
CPE Senior                    evil to one who is striking at the root."