Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:21:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

[ Back to the original article ]

> After speaking with David on the phone, I decided to remove the
> following entries from GENERIC:
>
> sio2
> sio3
> lpt2
> mcd1
> lnc1
>
> I would also like to remove:
>
> ed1
> lp1
>
> But will wait for more feedback on that (I think that ed1 should at
> least go).  I've undertaken this housecleaning because I feel that
> GENERIC has built up more than its fair share of historical cruft
> (many of the doubled entries predating userconfig) and we need to get
> back to the concept of GENERIC as a "just get it installed with as
> little wasted space as possible so that it still fits on one boot
> floppy" kind of kernel image.

Having worked with BSD/*nix systems since the mid-80's, as I understand
it GENERIC wasn't intened to be a 'minimal' kernel with as little wasted
space as possible, but a 'kitchen-sink' kernel which contained every
conceivable driver so that you could never had to build a custom kernel
for your system unless you had special needs.  I know that I never *had*
to build custom kernels on *any* of the commercial BSD systems I've used
unless I had a very special need.  (Like adding in un-supported SLIP
support, etc..)

Making folks build their own custom kernels is a step in the wrong
direction.  We should be providing 'out-of-the-box' solutions solutions
for them in the same manner as pre-built ports.  If getting source and
building it from scratch wasn't an issue we shouldn't even be providing
pre-built ports since it's so easy to build them w/out an Internet
connection on the CD already.

Other free *nices don't *make* the user build their own custom kernels
for standard PC hardware, and most PC hardware now have > 2 serial ports
when you consider almost *EVERY* single PC now has the standard
2serial/Parallel/game-port plus an internal modem.

Since you already brought in the 'disable' keyword, why don't you simply
disable sio2/3, and leave them in.

As far as the remaining ones go, I don't know of any *standard* PC that
has more than one parallel port, so I see no need there, and I also
doubt that anyone has multiple Mitsumi-CD's on their system.

I'm only concerned about the 2 (now missing) serial ports, which can be
safely disabled/enabled by the end user w/out requiring a kernel
re-compile with the config changes.  I suspect this is less than 1K in
the kernel with the advantage of not having the end-user *require* a
kernel re-compile for her system.

Nate