Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:21:01 +0200
From:      Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@inode.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster [was: Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels]

Hi,

I think something like /etc/defaults/mergemaster.conf, where for each
file or for each directory (or pattern) can be defined the action, like
"always update",  "never update", "merge".

There are many files wich can be always updated during mergemaster like
/etc/periodic or rc.*.

The user should be able to overwrite the settings in his own
/etc/mergemaster.conf (same system like for rc.conf or make.conf).

It would be great to have this or something like this in mergemaster,
because this can save many time.

bye,

Phil Kernick schrieb:
> Lucky Green wrote:
>
>> Matthew Dillon wrote about mergemaster:
>> -----------------
>> I also like the idea someone posted in regards to having a list of
>>     files 'typically never modified by the sysop', e.g. /etc/defaults/*,
>>     /etc/rc*, and so forth, though with the patches I have so far that
>>     particular problem is not so big a deal any more (at least not for
>> me).
>> -----------------
>

> I'd also like the opposite - a list of files that mergemaster will not
> update under any circumstances.  At the moment I remove the CVS id from
> the top of all of the files that I modify so that I remember during
> mergemaster whether I should update them or not.
>

> Phil.

E-mail: Michael.Bretterklieber@jawa.at
JAWA Management Software GmbH
Liebenauer Hauptstr. 200