Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:05:55 -0800
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New user - small file server questions and quick GUI question

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 14:42, Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net> wrote:

>> Running with no xorg.conf is fine, but you need to make sure dbus and ha=
>> are started at boot. =C2=A0Follow the handbook for best results.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-config.html
>
> I'm sure I started them as this doc is exactly what I followed...... I th=
ink
> if I recall correctly or at least something like it?? Anyway as explained=
> will use Vbox to check 100% and then at least have proper logs and cli
> output to compare to and give everyone an idea of what's going on unlike
> now!

I can't speak to the rest, but WRT the GUI, I suspect you'll find it a
lot easier if you install a Window Manager to handle a lot of this. I
have found xfce4 to be a good one for me - gnome and kde were a bit
much. Once I installed /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 with a 'make
config-recursive' then chose my options, then 'make install', the GUI
fired up just fine, and all of the hal/dbus stuff was handled for me.

Kurt