Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:41:17 -0500
From:      Adam Stylinski <stylinae@mail.uc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ataraid and 9.0 RC-2

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

Hello,

I just ran freebsd-update to get up to 9.0-RC2 and discovered that ataraid =
does not work.  I realize I'm an edge case and my scenario is not ideal (I =
use an ITE controller and performance is actually impressively slow), but I=
 cannot boot 9.0 from my stripe, even after manually loading ataraid from t=
he loader prompt (after running an unload command).  I mention it mostly be=
cause other people using the fakeraid setup by their motherboards for whate=
ver reason (perhaps to share a partition table with windows on the same mir=
ror or stripe) may have a similar problem.  It seems like the ar0 device di=
sappeared for me completely (even though it finds ada0 and ada1).  I'm usin=
g the following device:

atapci0@pci0:2:11:0:    class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x00000000 chip=3D0x8212128=
3 rev=3D0x13 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor     =3D 'Integrated Technology Express (ITE) Inc'
    device     =3D 'ATA 133 IDE RAID Controller (IT8212F)'
    class      =3D mass storage
    subclass   =3D RAID
rl0@pci0:2:13:0:        class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x80ea104d chip=3D0x813910e=
c rev=3D0x10 hdr=3D0x00

At first I figured because it may be loading AHCI (as per the device naming=
 schemes ada0 and ada1).  I haven't looked too much into it (these devices =
are actually PATA not SATA, so AHCI doesn't even exist for these), but mayb=
e there's an ATA/AHCI driver that's built into the default kernelthat is in=
terfering with ataraid.ko?  Maybe this interferes with my stupidly slow and=
 unpopular configuration. =20

Thanks for any help, I'll also have a gander at the new DEFAULTS for the ge=
neric kernel in the 9.0 source tree.

--=20
Adam Stylinski
PGP Key: http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~adam/publickey.pub