Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 13:27:46 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, mtaylor@cybernet.com, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, shocking@prth.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: Decent network cards for 100Mbit?

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> I'd recommend the Intel Pro 100 cards.  I've got 30-40 machines with those
> cards (Pro/100B and Pro/100+), and haven't had any trouble.
>
> As Steinar points out, the key is the driver.  In this case, the Intel
> driver works well.  (That's not to say that other drivers don't work, just
> that my experience with the fxp driver has been good.)

My only complaint about the EEPro 100B cards is paying Intel $65 for
a card that has a single $4 chip on it.  Bleh.  Plus, the performance
I've seen hasn't been all that stellar, but I may be doing something
wrong.  I haven't really tried tuning the system much yet, just doing
some simple throughput tests using ftp and tcpblast.