Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2014 21:28:40 +0100
From:      isdtor <isdtor@gmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: skype 2.2 and skype 2.1 are retired from skype

> On 9 August 2014 09:51, ilana <ilaneshster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I received an email that skype linux older versions are retired from the
> skype people, only the latest skype will work. the latest skype now is 4.2
> or something like this. I tried to login on skye 2.1, not working, i tried
> login on skype 2.2 also not. these are all outdatedt and retired. so how i
> can install on pcbsd 10.0.2 skype linux 4.2? skype is a must have thank you

It's version 4.3.0.37, to be precise. They showed good community
spirit by making auth changes that render pre-4.3 versions unusable,
as you observed, and at the same time dropped ALSA support in 4.3 in
favour of pulseaudio. Needless to say, this did not go down well with
a lot of Linux people.

Not being familiar with pcbsd, I presume the process of getting it to
work is similar to FreeBSD. There are a number of guides on the web,
based on one or other of the emulators/linux_base* ports.