Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:47:29 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0-BETA1 & 2 occasionally freezing, how to diagnose?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:14:13PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Doug Poland wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been having frequent problems with BETA1 and now BETA2
> > "freezing".  There is no diagnostic information, nothing in
> > /var/log/messages, nothing, just a hung interface.  I cannot ssh
> > into the machine and it appears the box ceases to communicate on
> > SSH. A couple of times I've had screen corruption on the laptop's
> > LCD display.
> >
> > Every time it hands I'm running Xorg 7.3, Thunderbird, Firefox,
> > pidgin, and a bunch of xterms.
> >
> > Is there something I can do to diagnose this issue?
>
> Only random generic troubleshooting items:
>
> - how's your heating?

the fan on the laptop runs continuously, sometimes on high speed.  I
typically see temps between 140 (mostly idle) -> 165 (make -j4
buildworld) Fahrenheit.

> screen corruption looks like memory or bus errors.

In my situation, it usually manifests itself as the external LCD monitor
goes blank (says "no signal") and the bottom half of the internal LCD
gets weird, multi-colored square patterns.

> are you running powerd?

yes: I recently started running powerd, within the last couple of weeks

> - can you set up a serial or firewire connection to it and monitor the
> machine from there ("screen corruption" may also mean a kernel message
> being printed in text mode, in the part of memory now mapped for
> graphics - if this is the case you'll see the message over the serial
> console).

I've done serial console redirection before but this  laptop has no
serial port.  Can I get console redirection via firewire?  Can you point
me at some docs?

--
Regards,
Doug