Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 00:21:34 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 82378ZB PCI ISA Bridge

Sorry for the long delay, but I don't
have easy access to mail, currently ...

On Apr 17, 23:34, Ollivier Robert wrote:
} It seems that Terry Lambert said:
} > I believe the system should "run fine" without recognizing the bridge
} > chips.
}
} Except it is hard to install an OS where the SVSI controller (NCR-based) is
} not recognized at all by the system :-)

The BIOS is responsible for initialization of all PCI bridge chips.

If some PCI card is not detected by FreeBSD, there must be some
other problem. It is NOT a problem in "pcisupport.c", which only
prints some register dumps for debugging, but does not change
the configuration of any bridge chip.

} I've tried generating a floppy with the  pcisupport.c file patched with the
} 1.15->1.16 diff (which  added the 82378ZB  support in STABLE)  but still no
} luck.

Many people completed an installation on a system with that chip.
Please give detailed information, if the problem still exists.

- is any PCI chip identified ?
- where are those PCI chips mapped ?
- is there any warning printed by the PCI probe ?

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160