Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:54:18 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

> From: Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD
> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:09:13 +1030
>
> On Saturday 26 January 2002 17:34, Chris Fedde wrote:
> > You might want to submit a patch to the FreeBSD Documentation project.
>
> Want? - Yes.  Be capable of? - No.

    Sure you are capable of submitting patches to man pages. Here's a
    short howto:

    1. step: find the source file:

    roman@roman ~ > locate passwd.1
    [...]
    /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/passwd/passwd.1.gz
    /usr/share/man/cat1/passwd.1.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/passwd.1.gz
    [...]
    /usr/src/usr.bin/passwd/passwd.1

    2. get the current revision of the file. if you update your sources
    with cvs, you'll know what to do. otherwise, I suggest this
    approach:

    2.1: www.freebsd.org -> the link "CVS repository" on the left ->
    "web interface".
    2.2: navigate to the path "locate passwd.1" gave you, i. e.
    src/usr.bin/passwd/passwd.1
    2.3: find the latest revision on the MAIN branch (1.23 as I write
    this) and download it.

    3. edit the file:

    It says:

    If the user is not the super-user,
    .Nm
    first prompts for the current password and will not continue unless the correct
    password is entered.

    .Nm is obviously a macro that the processor replaces with the name
    of the manpage (or something like that), and looks like it needs to
    be on a line alone. Keep this requirement (that is, if your proposed
    change includes the word "passwd", use the macro), and replace this
    sentence with whatever you like.

    4. generate the patch:

    You want to keep a copy of the 1.23 rev. unchanged for this step:

    diff -u passwd.1.orig passwd.1 > passwd.1.patch

    5. send the patch:

    see send-pr(1), or use the web interface at www.freebsd.org

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
3:29PM up 6 days, 21:52, 13 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00