Date:      02 Feb 1997 12:20:28 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        Ian Wynne <ianwynne@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

Can you ping a bare IP address? Try netstat -rn. If netstat -r is
hanging, it's probably on the reverse name lookup. Which makes me
think you haven't set up /etc/resolv.conf properly. Make sure you get
the IP addresses of your ISP's nameservers there.

Also, if you haven't already, disable routed in /etc/sysconfig. That's
important. And, to echo the other responses, do NOT ifconfig tun0 in
/etc/sysconfig (despite what the out-of-date and wrong handbook says).

-jay