Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:21:36 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        "R Joseph Wright" <rjoseph@nwlink.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: softupdates and async

"R Joseph Wright" <rjoseph@nwlink.com> wrote:
> Is it okay to have both on the same filesystem?

No, you cannot run both on the same filesystem.  [Aside: what would be the
point?  async+softupdates==async.]

> And, how do I go about
> enabling softupdates on my / partition?

Since softupdates is enabled via tunefs, your best bet is to drop the disk
in another system and tunefs it from there.  OTOH, if you've followed the
various partitioning recommendations, your / filesystem is small and
essentially read-only, so softupdates won't do squat for it.

Later,
scott