Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:27:38 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New USB stack - some updates

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There hasn't been some many changes during the last month to my SVN repository
> nor P4 tree. Actually that is because my cable provider in Norway has been
> terribly slow providing me decent internet access. So there will be a big
> commit soon with lots of improvements.
>
> Anyways, there are several changes coming soon, some of which might interest
> you:
>
> 1) Optimisations for embedded platforms
> 1.a) Reduced stack usage
> 1.b) Faster USB control transfers
> 1.c) Loading of DMA buffers with automatic cache synch operations.
>
> 2) End of data bouncing in USB drivers. Using DMA buffers are now mandatory.
>
> 3) Some non-critical bug fixes.
>
> 4) Planned "USB device side" support. Currently only the "USB host side" is
> well supported.
>
> --HPS
>
> PS: I will be at EuroBSDcon in Denmark next week, available for comments.

Being htere is a good start. having someone there who can question
you on it woudl be good too. I don't know who is going. Having just flown back
from Europe last nignt I'm not volunteering. Having some documentation
they can read in order to knwo what to ask you about is more important.

How is the documentation going?

The code will not be accepted "EVER" without documentation, so
that is BY FAR your highest priority if you want it to be accepted.
You have not mentioned it at all though you have been told many times
it is the single biggest drawback. (Along with locking issues that
can be adddresses better when there is documentation)

to recap:
1/ in-code commenting..  have some. in fact, have lots.
2/ some whitepaper giving an overview on how you approach problems
   and how your approach is different from that of the exisiting code.

pictures are good.