Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 20:17:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        robin@is.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: user management stuff

It seems that Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> Actually, I'm rather hoping that someone will re-write adduser so
> we can throw the one we have away!  I've had no end of problems with
> that bloody perl script! :-(

I have another  one but I haven't  got time to document  it yet. It is  not
difficult to use, just two configuration file (that's  what I need to write
man pages for).  If there is enough interest  for put it  in the tree, I'll
try to write them...

I haven't implemented the -freefall option (creating a group per user) :-)

A volunteer to write the two manpages ?

new-account : Account Creation Program.
Copyright (c) 1993, 94  by Ollivier Robert (roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net)
Version 1.06.3 on 18/04/95.

Usage:
new-account [options] login fullname group [group...]

    -N         doesn't execute anything, just show commands,
    -m         send greeting message to new user,
    -s shell   specifies the shell to use instead of /sbin/tcsh,
    -u uid     specifies une user-id to use (default is next free in class),
    -a alias   specifies the alias to put in /etc/mail/aliases,
    -p pwd     use that encrypted password,
    -q         be quiet and do not display messages.

Configuration file is /usr/local/etc/accountrc.
Group definition file is /usr/local/etc/groupdefs.

The groupdefs looks like this:

# config file for new-account(8)
#
# Defines the different groups available
#
# (c) 1993,94 by Ollivier Robert (roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net)
#
# $Id$
#
# Here lie the group descriptions
#
# format is :
#
# group_name = ( uid_min-uid_max base_dir def_shell options )
#
staff = ( 100-199 /users/staff /sbin/tcsh mail,alias,userdb )
copains = ( 200-499 /users/copains /sbin/tcsh mail,alias,userdb )
uucp = ( 500-599 /var/spool/uucp /usr/libexec/uucp/uucico nodir )
slip = ( 600-699 / /usr/sbin/sliplogin nodir )
ppp = ( 700-799 / /usr/local/sbin/ppplogin nodir )

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #1: Wed Jan 10 02:23:42 MET 1996