Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 02:01:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do you people listen to mp3s?

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Generic Player wrote:

> > Have you considered that this might be a configuration problem?  I've
> > been playing MP3's on FreeBSD for almost as long as I can
> > remember.
> >
> >  * What type of system are you running?
> >  * What are you using for a sound card/driver?
> >  * Which MP3 players have you tried?
> >  * Are you accessing the MP3's from a local system or NFS?
> >  * Did it work with 3.X?
> >
> > A little more information might be helpful.
> >
> > -
> > Jim
>
> Yes I have, that's why I asked what programs other people use.  I have a
> k-6 300 with 128 MB of RAM, and a AWE 64 sound card using the device pcm
> driver.  The Mp3s are on my local disk, and I have never used 3.x, I am
> new to freebsd.  I have tried xmms, mp3blaster, mp3123, kmp3, x11amp and
> xamp.  They all skipped terribly whenver I did anything in any other
> program, especially going to a new website in netscape.  I can get kmp3
> to stop skipping by setting its buffer settings to max, but as I said,
> it randomly crashes and won't start again without a reboot.

I use mpg123 with gqmpeg and a 4MB buffer on a P200MMX/256MB/17GB
Seagate setup and 4.0-STABLE. It rarely, if ever flinches unless I'm
netscape. Your problems sound similar, but slightly worse than mine were
using a P66/56MB setup. Can't say I've used kmp3 though.

I'd look for something hogging CPU time and excessive swapping. Then I'd
check your L1/L2 cache for signs of impending death.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/