Date:      Sat, 06 Apr 2002 21:52:27 -0500
From:      "Jud " <jud@operamail.com>
To:        <thevanguardian@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended modem

----- Original Message -----
From: Anant K <thevanguardian@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:22:06 -0800 (PST)
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Recommended modem

> Hello,
>    I have a Dell Latitude laptop with a winmodem and
> am planning on buying a new external modem.  Are there
> any recommendations on which kind I should get?  Right
> now I have a 3COM Mini-PCI combo modem and NIC.  I
> just read about this new V.92 standard, and it looks
> pretty appealing.  Is this supported in FreeBSD yet?
> Please CC me as I'm not on the list.  Thanks.

I have used both Zoom and U.S. Robotics V.92 modems
with FreeBSD without problems.  Both are external serial
modems (there are also external USB modems - I seem to
recall reading about some problems with these, but I don't
know if any such problems still exist; you may want to
look at Google).

No ISP I know of "supports" V.92 yet, so don't expect to
see any difference from V.90.  Your guess is as good as
mine re how soon if ever V.92 will become widespread.

Jud