Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 17:12:39 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Constant <mconst@csua.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sliplogin hole?

> This applies to 2.1-RELEASE, which is what I'm running.  Forgive me if
> it has been fixed in -current; I haven't seen anything on freebsd-security
> about it, though.
>
> The sliplogin(8) manpage recommends using lines of the following form
> in /etc/sliphome/slip.hosts:
>
> Sfoo	`hostname`	foo	netmask
>
> The problem with this is that the `hostname` portion is passed directly
> to the shell, without any processing -- as root.  This means J. Random
> Slip-User can create a script called ~/bin/hostname that does whatever
> he wants, and (as long as ~/bin is before /bin in his path) his script
> will be run as root the next time he types "sliplogin foo".

Except that the path supplied to sliplogin is the standard unix
path (PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin), which doesn't use anything from the user's
home directory (unless it was explicitly set in the shell script.

Also, if you are concerned about security, you don't allow your
slip-login users to create/modify any of their slip files, which is easy
to do as long as you don't give them the same uid's for both shell login
and slip login accounts and use paranoid permissions on both accounts.

Nate