Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:19:21 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rndc-conf is freezing..

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:08:44PM -0500, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> I've read a few threads that say rndc-confgen may freeze because
> /dev/random isnt' random enough.
>
> I've set the rand_irqs in rc.conf, as well hammered on the keyboard
> some while rndc-confgen is runnning and it still sits there.
>
> anyone know what can be done? I have bind9 running fine, but if
> i update anything i have to do a kill/named to read config changes.
> which is less than elegant ;)

You can run:

    rndc-confgen -r keyboard

which will use the keyboard interactively as a source of randomness.

Or you can just run rndc-confgen on another host and copy the files it
generates over to your DNS server.

The 'secret' in the generated config files is just a base64 encoded
short piece of text.  You can generate a secret using 'mmencode' as
described in the rndc.conf(5) man page. However, it's not necessary to
install the metamail package, as openssl will do the job:

    % echo secret-password | openssl base64
    c2VjcmV0LXBhc3N3b3JkCg==

	Cheers,

	Matthew