Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:30:39 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016065839.1ce4c2@mired.org>
To:        Jon Wilson <jon@netcraft.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about dump on live filesystems

Jon Wilson <jon@netcraft.com> types:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > My question: what happens if an inode is freed and assigned to a different
> > > file during the dump process? Will I end up with an erroneous bit of data
> > > in my restored file?
> > I haven't checked the code, you have.
> Not very well! (rusty C, laziness, etc!)

Ok, I checked the code.

> > It sure sounds like that's what will happen.
> Y.

But level 0's are *special*. Not that special, though - the time of
the "dump" is the time the dump started for all levels; any files
changed after that will be dumped at the next dump of one greater
level.

> I admint that it's odd, but I don't see how it causes any major problems.
> The amount of data we are talking about is large, and on a high use
> system, so level-0 single-user takes some time. Minimising user disruption
> is a priority.

So make them *rare*. Basically, do level 0's in single user mode. Do a
level 3 at the beginning of each month, a level 6 each week, and a
level 8 every day. Then only do another level 0 when the level 3
starts taking "to long" in multiuser mode. Wouldn't you rather have
one full dump of downtime a year than short partial dump downtimes
every day, and know that you've got a good full dump to work with?

Either that, or convince someone this is a critical resource, and
spring for a RAID mirror of the user data.

> > Actually, I recommend that you not do the level above level 0 as level
> > 1, but as at least level 2. The exact level will depend on your
> > system. Personally, I do level 0, 4, and 8, with 8's happening daily
> > and 4's weekly.
> I'm not following you here. According to my understanding, a level-($n+1)
> backup will include all files changed since the last level-$n. What is the
> point in incrementing by more than one in this way?

If you do a level n and then level n+1, there's nothing you can do if
the elvel n+1's suddenly triple in size except doing a new level
n. By spreading them out a bit, so that you do level n's and then
level n+3's, if that happens you can do a level n+2 to pick up the
bulge, without having to do a full level n.

Similarly, my dailies are always at level 8. So when I upgrade a
system, I do a quick level 9 after shutting it down to single user,
just in case. That gives me the safety net of a full backup, but at
the cost of just backing up the few things that have changed that day.

	<mike