Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7879: Update pine4 port to 4.03, and other items

The following reply was made to PR ports/7879; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To: Studded@dal.net
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:36:37 +0300 (EEST)

 Hi,

 On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 Studded@dal.net wrote:

 > 	There are other changes here as well. Most notably all references in the
 > program and documentation to /usr/local[/lib]/pine.conf and
 > /usr/local/lib/mime.types are changed to /usr/local/etc. Also, I've added a
 > sample installation of /usr/local/etc/pine.conf to the makefile. Some of the

  IMO I believe auto-generated /usr/local/etc/pine.conf isn't needed --
 please tell me if I'm wrong...

 > patches are regenerated due to the changes I've made, the other patches I've left
 > alone except for the ones (like patch-aa) which did not apply cleanly.
 >patch-as
 > and patch-aq need to be split because they affect more than one file, but I

  * "patch-as" holds patches for initial setup of F_TCAP_WINS &
 F_QUELL_INTERNAL_MSG variables in the config file.
  * "patch-aq" holds patches to (optionally) deactivate speller
    functionality in Pico (because we don't have any compatible
    spellcheckers for now)

 > didn't want to deal with that in case there was a reason for it. The
 >new changes
 > for pine/init.c that were in patch-as I moved to patch-az. I don't understand
 > what a lot of the existing patches do, so I left them alone. :)

  Please try to understand them and not move them all around without a
 good reason -- or else the CVS maintainers are going to have a lot of
 headaches... :)

 > I hope this is of use,
 >
 > Doug
 >
 > +PLIST_SUB=	PKGNAME=${PKGNAME}

  What's this for ? ISTR there was some chatting over these new
 variables...

 > +
 >  do-build:
 >  	@(cd ${WRKSRC}; ${SETENV} ${MAKE_ENV} ./build bsf)
 >
 >  do-install:
 >  	${INSTALL} ${COPY} -o ${LIBOWN} -g ${LIBGRP} -m ${LIBMODE} \
 > -		${WRKSRC}/bin/libpico.so.2.0 ${PREFIX}/lib/libpico.so.2.0
 > +		${WRKSRC}/pico/libpico.a ${PREFIX}/lib/libpico.a

  Bogus, bogus, don't do that ! This is a temporary library that is to be
 statically linked into the resulting executables...

 > +	${PREFIX}/bin/pine -conf > ${WRKSRC}/pine.conf
 > +	${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/pine.conf ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf.${PKGNAME}
 > +.if !exists(/usr/local/etc/pine.conf)
 > +	${CP} ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf.${PKGNAME} ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf
 > +.else
 > +	@${ECHO} ''
 > +	@${ECHO} "A ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf file exists from a previous installation."
 > +	@${ECHO} "You should compare it with ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf.${PKGNAME} to see"
 > +	@${ECHO} "if there are any important changes in the new version."
 > +	@${ECHO} ''
 > +.endif

  Please tell me why do we need a ${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf ?

  I'll take a closer look at the rest...
  I have prepaired a port for 4.03 but I'm stuck into a curious bug
 (sending mail to myself then immediately checking the Inbox results in a
 "Received abort signal") and I don't wanna commit it until I find out
 what's all about it...

  Please don't commit right now these patches, unless the BUGTRAQ bug that
 was announced is really a boomer. I know I sound a bit harsh but I'd
 really like to have proper commits for this port, it's pretty important
 and mistakes should be avoided...

  Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)