Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:49:54 +0100
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple network cards with IP addresses in the same network

I have a FreeBSD 4.7 system, with 3 ethernet cards. The first two
are recognised as fxp0 and fxp1 and the second as em0 (intel gigabit
card). I configured the em0 with address 192.168.0.1/24. I then wanted
to configure fxp0 with the address 192.168.0.2/24, and also connect it
to the switch so that I can connect to the server via both addresses.
However, FreeBSD's ifconfig command fails, and won't let me add the second
address to the fxp0 interface. I read the manual page about ifconfig,
and read about aliases, where it said that for aliases, I must use the
netmask /32. When I do try to add the second address with a netmask of
/32, it works, but it doesn't make sense to me. How is that interface
going to to know that it is part of a /24 network if I use a /32 netmask?

Would anyone be kind enough to explain why:

1. For aliases, I need the /32 mask

2. Adding a second IP to a *different* network card in the same server
does not work if the second IP is within the network of the first one.

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org