Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:35:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ct@ct.heise.de
Subject:   Re: Testimonial

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 1997, Marco Molteni wrote:
>
> > Me too. Seriously, from what I've read on this list, c't seems
> > very good. I suggest to put up a lobby among we FreeBSDers
> > and let c't people know that we are interested in an english
> > version. I think many other people (eg some Linux people, some
> > BeOS people) can be very interested in it.
>
> I think the real problem is that a lot of c't's editorial content
> is related to Germany.  Looking at the September issue (436
> pages), I'd guess that about 20% of the material (such as the ISP
> review they're planning to make a regular feature) is of little
> interest outside Germany.

No problems here, since I'd prefer a ~200 pages issue rather than a
~450 one ;-). I don't mind paying 200 pages the same price as 400,
*if* the 200 are worth it.

> Don't expect everything to be of interest, of course.  A lot of
> the editorial content is related to Microsoft.

This seems the price we have to pay for being in the western world ;-)

>  In fact, they have a sister publication, iX, which deals with
> UNIX, but it's not nearly of the same quality as c't.

It makes me think about a "Readers' Digest of C't & iX", what about
it ? ;-)

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, David Kelly wrote:

> Marco Molteni writes:
>
> > Perhaps we could post some "call for lobbying" ;-) on the
> > relevant newsgroups/mailing lists.
>
> I suspect the best thing would be to frequent the english articles
> posted on their web site. The fact people bother to hunt them down
> and read their stuff would be the best way to indicate a demand
> for their product.

Yes, this could be an idea, although I do hate reading articles on
my web browser instead of reading them on paper. Now that I think
about it, the reason could be that I have a dial-up connection to
the Internet and that here in Italy we pay urban calls on a per minute
basis :-(

> Don't know how much good English would do for Marco in Itay, but he
> sure handles English better than I would Italian.

Well, I do hope this is a compliment ;-). Maybe you David forget
that *all* the documentation on FreeBSD and/or computer science is
in english, so we "foreigners" have to know it.

By the way, I like english, it's very terse compared to others
languages. If I read a technical paper, I know about 98-99% of the words.
If I read Time, well, I need a dictionary nearby, if I listen to an
american, well, maybe one or two beers could help ... ;-)

> About all the Italian I know are "Ferrari" and "Michael
> Schumacher". :-)

I can't believe you! What about pizza, spaghetti, paparazzo ? ;-)

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' degli studi di Milano, Italy.
UNIX _is_ user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are.