Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 1996 09:12:59 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Binh Do <binhdo@cs.ubc.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD be visible from Win95?

Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:

> Reading from dos partitions seems to be pretty safe, but there is a bug

No...it depends on what you've been doing to your partitions to get where
you are.  In my case, I used FIPS to shrink my DOS slice to make room for
UNIX.  It appears that FIPS does something (legal) to the DOS FAT that the
FreeBSD msdosfs can't understand (DOS, NT and Linux have no problems with
it).  When mounting my DOS slices (even read-only), I ended up getting
corrupt BSD file systems.  I think someone has suggested that it might
also be related to the DOS slice being before my BSD slice on the disk
(but that's the way FIPS works - defrag [move used space to start of
partition], then split it).

> in the msdos filesystem implementation (FreeBSD's implementation) and
> writing, while it is possible to force it, is a very bad idea.  I don't
> think I'd do it, without an awfully good reason, and a complete backup of
> the disk involved.

Yes, make sure your backups are up to date.  In my case, I just avoid
mount DOS partitions at all for the time being.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org