Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 21:29:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Martin Renters <martin@tdc.on.ca>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDwriter software

> > A driver allows you to act asychronously and still do
> > otehr work.. rememebr that we can burn a cdrom and still do
> > "make world?"
> > that's a result of doing it with a driver..
> > with user-mode you wouldn't have a chance..
> > the od driver and teh CD driver can be combined.
> > I'm not that worried about that..

I don't see how having the CD burner software in userland makes that
any different.  I'm able to continue to work on my HPUX system while
I'm burning CDs and it is all in userland.  Even in the current setup
it is userland process that is feeding the driver with the data you want
to write.  I don't see how having it create the SCSI command as
well changes things that dramatically.

Maybe I'm missing something here...

Martin