Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:30:00 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody know the fix for the Promise IDE RAID controller?

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 05:50:32PM -0800, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

>I'm using one of these little beauties under NT, and it actually works
>pretty nicely.
>
>It would be great if I could use it under FreeBSD.  I thought it was
>supposed to look like a generic IDE device, but apparently it isn't quite
>identical.
>
>FreeBSD gives me "No storage class assigned".
>

>Is there a quick hack to make this work?
>
>A search of the archives revealed others asking, but no answers.

I'm interested in this too.  I've been playing with one of their IDE RAID
cards (Promise FastTrack).  We originally ordered their non-RAID "Ultra33"
card, which seems to be supported by -current, but our supplier couldn't
get it.

With -current as of a week or two ago I get the following with the FastTrack
controller:

ide_pci1: <Promise Ultra/33 IDE controller> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on pci0.18.0
ide_pci1: adding drives to controller 4: 4 5 6 7
wdc2 not found at 0xeff0
wdc3 not found at 0xefa8

I have a disk connected as master to each of it's two IDE ports.

David