Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 05:10:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hoss Firooznia <hfir@math.rochester.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need explanation of SCSI error

Hello,

If someone could explain (or point me towards an explanation) for the
following problem I'd be grateful.

For several months now on one machine (and under both 2.1.5-R and
2.2.2-R) I've been getting the following cryptic SCSI errors with a
Conner drive on an Adaptec 2940 controller:

  /kernel: sd0(ahc0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND info:7f877f
	   csi:f,90,0,27 asc:9,0 Track following error field replaceable
	   unit: 15
  /kernel: , retries:4

And here's what dmesg reports for the controller and disk:

  ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 9 on pci0:15
  ahc0: aic7880 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
  (ahc0:0:0): "CONNER CFP4207S  4.28GB 5767" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
  sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 4096MB (8388608 512 byte sectors)

At first I thought this might be a SCSI termination problem, but after
checking and rechecking terminators and cable connections, the errors
still keep appearing in the syslog.  I also had the controller
reformat and verify the disk, but no bad blocks were found,
apparently, and the problem remains.

I'd like to return the drive if it's defective, but I don't quite know
what to complain about to my vendor since I don't quite understand the
problem.

Is it possible to determine *why* a command is being aborted from the
information contained in the error message?  Can I fix the problem by
reconfiguring the drive somehow?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Hoss