Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:58:42 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fixing Union_mounts

Thanks, I guess it's bad timing with all the release work happening now.

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, John S. Dyson wrote:

> I hope to look at this thread this weekend.  I know that we need to get
> off our duffs starting to make progress on the FS front.  My FreeBSD time
> is right now tied up on making the swapon/swapoff stuff real.
>
> There is action about to happen on the Jeffery Hsu Lite-2 stuff, and
> I heard that Kirk's ordered-delay writes project might be starting.  This

Yes, the Lite2 stuff is needed to proceed further.

Regarding Delayed-Ordered Writes.  Here's an excerpt from Terry's Usenet
posting on the UnixWare group:

>Contrast this with the UnixWare 2.x UFS, which uses Delayed
>Ordered Writes.  These require significant changes to each
>FS's structure to implement, and do not scale reeentrancy
>per vnode across multiple processors for a particular vnode
>buffer.  They are about 35% slower than soft updates under

I agree that things should probably slow down, but to sit down and
do more *designing*.  DOW is an performance optimization, and before doing
that I think we should take a harder look at the framework that serves as
the foundation for all further work.

I'd hate to see the same mistakes done in SVR/4MP go into 4.4BSD.
Identifying these mistakes might be hard, but I think we should try.

-mike hancock