Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:06:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-187-122.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        shovey@buffnet.net (Steve Hovey)
Cc:        ohahx@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I forgot the root password

In reply:
> boot it standalone (when it boots up and stops with a prompt - instead of
> hitting enter - type -s and then enter)
>
> mount your drives in standalone
>
> (mount -a)
>
> you are then root in standalone with your drives mounted - so you can set
> a new password for yourself
>
> (just type passwd)
>
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Stefan Boy wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Iam using FreeBSD 3.2
> >
> > And I have lost the paper where i writed the root password.
> >
> > I only got two users on the system, thats me, and my girlfriend.
> >
> > All the passwords was on the piece of paper I lost :\
> >
> > How can I change the root password ?
> >
> > I dont got the boot disk.

well, this all assumes that the guy bothered to change his console in
/etc/ttys to "secure".  keep in mind, he WROTE HIS PASSWORDS DOWN,
meaning that he is probably extremely new to computing, and as such, I
have my doubts that he will be able to boot to a shell prompt in
single-user mode.  As I recall, the default is to ask for root's
password upon booting single-user, unless /etc/ttys is explicitly
changed.

Best bet is to download the floppies from the ftp site and try to at
least get in using fixit.

In the future, I advise that he pick non-obvious passwords that he
WILL remember, and to NOT write them down.  Anyone ever see WarGames?
Written passwords can get lost, and then found by people you don't
want to have them.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or