Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:37:01 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/relnotes-i386.html questions

	So I've upgraded my systems to 4.10, and found
<http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/relnotes-i386.html>. I found
several issues in this page, such as cam being listed under Network
Protocols, various English nits, and a bunch of empty sections.

	Is this worth updating, for people like me who read the
release notes on the main website (and haven't upgraded already), or
not really, under the theory that people won't see updated release
notes? I don't see anything that needs to go into errata, which takes
updates post-release...

	Also, even if it's not worth updating, I'd like to understand
exactly how this page gets generated. I see this tag near the top of
relnotes-i386.html:

src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/common/new.sgml,v
1.22.2.410.2.3 2004/05/22 00:22:41 hrs Exp $<br />

	but after cvsup to RELENG_4,
/usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/common/new.sgml doesn't
contain the content in the HTML. Is it immediately cleared out after
each release for the next release (4.11R in this case)? If so, that
seems to imply that release notes for a release are never updated
once the release is announced. Am I understanding correctly, or are
4.10R notes only available from a specific tag, or am I completely
off in the weeds?

	On a forward-looking note, I notice that references like
ports/UPDATING are not links -- is there any reason they shouldn't be?

						Thanks for enlightenment,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;