Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 10:08:57 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Record uptime for a FreeBSD system?

There were a number of other answers ...
I think a lot of us could fall into the category of saying, "What, exactly,
do you mean by uptime?"
Looking at my webserver, it's been up for 180 days.  Last time I took it down
for an upgrade, it had been up for ~170.  Prior to that, it had been up for
~130 when the power went out for over 4 hours and the UPS died.  Prior to
that, I think it had been up for ~90 and we had to unplug it to rearrange
some hardware.
So, if you just mean the output of the uptime(1) command, the longest I've
personally accomplished is 180 days (but that will change tomorrow ;)
However, if you want to talk about OS-related uptime, I've seen over 300
days between having to reboot because of an OS issue, and then it was to
upgrade FreeBSD.  In over 2 years that machine has _never_ crashed or needed
rebooted because of OS _problems_.
It's nice that I can even upgrade Apache without having to reboot the system
(which, it's about time I do. The version of Apache on that machine is getting
a little stale)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology