Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 17:40:04 +0000 ()
From:      Bill Beavers <bbeavers@Moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dialup pppd problems

Since ppp seems to be the problem of the day (or days), here is mine and
I hope someone has the answer.

I have a FreeBSD 2.1.7 machine set up a a high school that I help out,
and this box is configured as a dialup router with 18 dynamic IP #'s
assigned to it.  I am running pppd for users to dialup to via modem.  The
BSD machine has a Cyclades multiport 16Ye serial board connected via the
ISA cylades board.

My problem is this.  I or any user can dial up to the first
ttyc00 (positively) or second modem ttyc01 (usually) and maintain a good
solid internet connection indefinitely with NO problems.  But if users
hits the 3rd through the 16th modem, then they usually can only stay
connected for around 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes longer, but not much.

The modems are Practical Peripherals 56k modems.  I have tipped all
modems the same, so I don't think that is the problem.  But is this
ramdom disconnecting a faulty ppp connection, or a modem problem.  How
can I get any info on what is causing this.  netstat -i and -rn don't
seem to reveal much, the /var/log files only mention inappropriate
ioctl's , etc, but that only seems to pop up on any disconnect anyway
normal or otherwise, and since the first two modems seem to be fine, I am
just at a loss as to how to get all these others maintaining good
connections.

Any ideas? I sure would appreciate it!

. Bill Beavers, Technology Coordinator .
. Arch Ford Education Coop             .
. bbeavers@moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us    .
. http://moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us      .