Date:      Sat, 14 May 2011 17:06:48 +0200
From:      Thomas Krause <freebsd-stable@chef-ingenieur.de>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>,  freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: setting usb disc to da1

I've plugged a USB disc to a FreeBSD System and it's dedected as da1:
>> da1:<Samsung G3 Station>  Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
>>
>> But when rebooting the machine, it becomes da0 and I cannot boot the
>> system. What's the trick to set the USB disc to da1 permanent?
> You can, to some degree, wire the device with..
> hint.scbus.0.at="umass-sim0"
> hint.da0.at="scbus0"
>
> However I would recommend using GPT IDs, UFS IDs or GEOM labels in fstab so the underlying device name is irrelevant.

Daniel,
I'm not sure with /boot/devices.hint. Could you give me a hint, how to
set

# camcontrol devlist
<AMCC 9500S-4LP  DISK 2.08>        at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
<Samsung G3 Station >              at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da1)

the Samsung G3 permanently to da1 (the AMCC must be da0).
(This is a productive system and I don't want to do tests ...)

Thank you!

Regards,
Thomas.