Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2008 01:15:26 -1000
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Dominique Goncalves <dominique.goncalves@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD USB still on after computer shutdown

in message <7daacbbe0808261055w62f46ebah93b2b595011c6117@mail.gmail.com>,
wrote Dominique Goncalves thusly...

> I use FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE and an HDD USB (Maxtor, external PSU,
> 500GB).  When I shutdown my computer (shutdown -p now ) the HDD
> USB is still on. In Windows XP it works, the HDD USB is off.
>
> Is there a way to resolve this issue?
>
> %dmesg

I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop which has a section in BIOS
configuration titled "USB something-or-other".  When a particular
subsection is activated, the "help text" mentions along the lines
that enabling the option would continue to power USB ports for
connected devices after shutdown.

So do poke around in BIOS, unless of course somebody else could
offer a solution to be executed within FreeBSD.

  - Parv