Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 14:32:09 PDT
From:      "Shameek Basu" <shameek_basu@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using the NT Boot Manager with FreeBSD

I have been trying to get the W2k boot manager to bootstrap into FreeBSD 4.0
for a long time without success.

I have Win 2k on my first IDE drive, and FreeBSD 4.0 on my 4th IDE drive
(the 2nd drive is an IDE with Linux, and the secondary master is a CD-ROM).
Currently I am using the W2k boot manager to load W2k/Linux.

After reading the list archives, I tried a couple of things:

1) I copied /boot/boot0 to C:\bootsect.bsd and pointed C:\boot.ini to
C:\bootsect.bsd. Since FreeBSD is on a different disk than W2k, I chose this
solution. When I was installing FreeBSD I opted not to have any boot record
anywhere, though I had made my FreeBSD slice "bootable" (I guess that means
it was made a primary partition on my 4th IDE).

When I chose this option from the NT boot manager, it wiped out my NT boot
manager.

My questions: Whats wrong with this approach?
Should I have installed a boot record on the MBR of IDE disk 4?
Has this recommended process changed from 3.x to 4.x of FreeBSD?
Should I have used "dd" instead of just copying the boot0 file?

2) I reinstalled W2k and FreeBSD, and copied /boot/boot1 to C:\bootsect.bsd
and repeated the same process. This time the NT boot manager was not
corrupted, but I got a "Boot Error" message and the system hung.

I have read and followed the instructions in the FAQ for loading FreeBSD
with NT loaded (similar to the above steps), with no success.

Does anyone have a clue how to boot into FreeBSD 4.0 using W2k loader when
FreeBSD is on a different disk than NT? And whether I need to install a boot
record on the MBR of the disk that FreeBSD resides on. Will choosing to
write a boot record during installation overwrite the MBR of the disk that
FreeBSD is being installed on or will it overwrite the MBR of the first disk
that the BIOS reads at boot time?

And lastly how can one make a boot diskette specific to a FreeBSD
installation? The Linux installation offers a way to do this, does FreeBSD
too? If there isn't  how can I boot to my FreeBSD installation when my
experiments with NT loader fails?

Thanks in advance
Shameek