Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:30:08 -0500
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        "'Odhiambo Washington'" <odhiambo@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: When Is The Ports Tree Going To Be Updated?

> So is "portsnap cron update" and "portsnap fetch update" doing the same
> thing?
> Whichever way, it sounds like I need an initial run of portsnap extract
before
> putting this in crontab.

>From scratch, you need to "portsnap fetch extract" to establish your ports
directory. After that you either use "portsnap fetch update" to
interactively update or use "portsnap cron update" for a cron script.

"Fetch" and "Cron" are identical except "Cron" adds a randomized time delay
so as not to fire off EXACTLY at the time you set. This helps prevent
everyone and their brother nailing the update server exactly at midnight
every night, but rather spread it out a few minutes.

Do NOT use a randomizer on your cron timer with "portsnap cron" or you will
be double randomizing and wondering why it seems to never be updating
sometimes.