Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:36:02 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wifi Router and FreeeBSD - need some hints..

herbert langhans wrote:
> Hi Daemons,
> I need some basic information about Wifi routers - very little I know about it.
>
> There is my FreeBSD-server (the other one is Linux) and some clients are connected with a LAN-switch.
>
> Now I want to add a Wifi Router to the network. I am not sure if I can set up the router without using some Windows software what comes with the router.
>
> My questions:
> I just connect the Wifi router to the LAN and it should work? Or do I need any software (drivers) to keep the thing running?
>
> There must be some software to 'talk' to the router - for setup. Is there anything available for FreeBSD or do I need Windows environment (what I dont have available)? What did you use to install your Wifi-router?

It depends on the router. Many if not most routers provide a web based
configuration tool, but a special application may be needed to update
firmware.

I have an airport extreme, works great, but no web interface. My DSL is
a 3Com with WiFi, it also has a web interface. I have seen routers that
allows a commandline configuration tool, connect with ssh or telnet and
upload or download the configuration with ftp.

BR, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard
Ph: +34.666334818/+34.915211157                  http://www.locolomo.org