Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 21:02:22 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can natd forward besides telnet, ftp, http, Etc?

* Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com> [000209 20:50] wrote:
> Hi,
>    I was wondering where there might be a list of what natd can forward
> "automatically" besides telnet, ftp, http, Etc.  More specifically, I am
> using FreeBSD 3.4-release and natd as a very nice gateway.  I notice that
> one of the things which is not forwarded from the internal network to the
> internet is VPN packets sent from one of the win98 clients.  IS it
> possible to have these packets be forwarded (I know with Linux this took
> some patching and such)?  What else (real audio?) does natd have
> "difficulty" forwarding from the internal network to the outside world?

Any connectionless procotols, or protocols requireing that the server
perform a callback connection to the client behind the natd.

Basically, udp connections are going to have issues without an explicit
proxy because there is no state with UDP, it's connectionless therefore
the natd doesn't really know where to send packets recieved in responce
to the client contacting an outside source.

The same problems will happen when a connection is 'active' from
the server, meaning the client connects via TCP to the server, then
the server tries to initiate a TCP connection back the client.

The problem is that natd doesn't really know which machine to forward
the incoming connection to.

-Alfred