Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:40:12 +0530 (IST)
From:      Mohana Krishna Penumetcha <pmk@sasken.com>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: crash dump output

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Eugene L. Vorokov wrote:

> Yet another issue, I have run config -g, then make depend, make and
> make install.debug. But my /kernel is still about 2mb long, which probably
> means it's not really debug kernel. However I see kernel.debug in the
> compile directory which is about 8mb long. Should I copy it manually to the
> / and boot this one ?

The kernel.debug is the kernel with all debug symbol information. The
symbol information is removed from this file and installed as /kernel.
The difference in file sizes should make it obvious why the symbol
information is removed. you can see this in the make output, all object
files are linked to kernel.debug and after that 'objcopy' strips of all
symbols.

once you have the core file, invoke the gdb(with -k option), specify
the kernel.debug as symbol file and /kernel as exec file.

all this is explained more clearly in the  handbook
(/usr/share/doc/handbook/book.txt)

regards,
mohan