Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:04:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel terminal oddities

I'm running 2.1.5-STABLE and have been using CTM to get patches. I
recently decided to rebuild the kernel to enable firewalling and found
that the new kernel was behaving oddly. I returned the configuration back
to what it was and rebuilt it and got the same effect. I then did a make
world as well, all with no change. The old kernel functions as it always
did.

The problems are primarily (totally?) in how ttys are treated. From the
console, running cons25, the first indication is that when you log in,
your username is repeated:

	login: bozo
	password:

The next is that in applications such as pine and pico, NONE of the
control keys are recognized, including ^C, ^X and escape. Only ^Z and ^T
seem to be recognized, so the only way out is to ^Z and kill it. When
users telnet in, applications tell them they are "not using a terminal".

I'm at a loss as to where to look next or what to try... anybody have any
ideas?

-Dave