Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:45:52 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>, Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

At 12:08 AM 8/27/96 -0700, Michael L. VanLoon wrote:

>>Just wait till Reece (a friend of mine) rewrites it and GPL's it.
>
>Some would say "GPL is evil"...  Convince him to put a BSD-style
>copyright on it. :-)

I know, I know. He's a Linux guy.

The argument goes something like this:

Reece: .................and I'm going to GPL it.

Me: Why GPL it? The BSD copyright is cool, and gives everyone more freedom
    with the code, while still giving you credit.

Reece: Because I'm afraid that the BSD copyright isn't enough to keep the
       code from disappearing from the net.

Me: When has a BSD-style copyright not been enough to keep code on the net?

Reece: The original CMU AFS code had a BSD-style copyright on it. Where
       can it be found now?

Me: Oh. Is that our pizza?

(this conversation took place down at Two Guy's Pizza (sic) one afternoon
last spring).

Yep, AFS is the perfect example for the GPL people to point to and say
"See! I told you the BSD-style copyright wasn't enough!". Sigh.

In the worst case, he puts his code out GPL, somebody else reads it and
documents how AFS works, and a third person redoes it (at least a *client*)
with a BSD-style copyright.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu