Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:50:20 -0400
From:      Klaus Steden <klaus@compt.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: signal 8 (fp execption) in pgp 5

> yesterday's -stable and ports tree, rebuilt twice.
>
>     % pgpk -l randy
>     Type Bits KeyID      Created    Expires    Algorithm       Use
>     sec+ 1024 0xB1331439 1994-04-04 ---------- RSA             Sign & Encrypt
>     uid  Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
>
>     1 matching key found
>
>     Received signal 8.
>
> anyone else see this or have a clue?

Yup. I tried PGP6, too, and found the same problem. Did some digging around
in the source, and at least with PGP6, I discovered it's a bug in
pgpRndUnix.c. Specifically, when loading a timer for use in an entropy
function (I think), there's a call to clock_getres() - using the
CLOCK_REALTIME clock, filling in a structure that gets returned to the caller
as 0, which triggers the FPE.

I tried using CLOCK_VIRTUAL, which stopped the FPE, but returned an error and
thus didn't generate any randomness.

Hopefully I've got my terms right - I'm no crypto expert by any stretch, but
that's what I found to be a problem in PGP6. I suspect something similar may
be at play in PGP5.

HTH,
Klaus