Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:39:45 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE not easily scalable to large servers ... ?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> So, it's time to question the assumption that the information you want
> available should be in "a book".
>
> Many websites have "annotation" as a form of ad-hoc documentation
> (e.g. php.net). Why not have someone take a crack at documenting the
> FreeBSD kernel, and perhaps use some annotation feature to create a
> "living" document which (hopefully) comes close to describing the
> kernel architechture?
>
> If you want to track a moving target, perhaps you need to use a moving
> track?

How does the person or persons involved in documenting the
internals to sufficient detail to be useful to third parties
get paid for the effort?

We are talking the work equivalent of a full time job.

If they aren't paid, what's the incentive to create documentation
above and beyond the status quo?

If that incentive exists, what's the URL for the documentation
that was created as a result?

I think I can count on my fingers the number of people who know
the various aspects of the boot process well enough to document
it for people who want to hack on it to, for example, declaratively
allocate physical memory as part of the boot process.

A lot of the information in this thread was never collected
centrally anywhere before (e.g. the missing piece about the
files to modify and the calculation of the NKPDE value that
was left out of David Greenman's posting of a year ago).  Most
of this information will be quickly out of date, since as soon
as you document something, people understand it enough to realize
the shortcomings, and so nearly the first thing that happens is
the shortcomings are corrected, and voila, your documentation is
now out of date.

-- Terry