Date:      Wed,  3 Apr 2002 22:29:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/36727: Mail chapter of Handbook is incomplete

>Number:         36727
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Mail chapter of Handbook is incomplete
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
any

We only include 1 paragraph on MUAs in the mail chapter of the FreeBSD
Handbook.  This is very valuable information that new users need.  We
should add at least 5 pages talking about installation and usage of
Mutt, Pine, fetchmail, the concepts of local Unix mailboxes vs POP3 /
IMAP.  Available IMAP clients for FreeBSD.  Pointer to the SSH
tunnelling section for these insecure protocols, etc..

>How-To-Repeat:

Point a new user at FreeBSD.

>Fix:

Many beginning Unix / Linux books do a good job at documenting this.
We do not.

For now, we should focus on adding more information about MUAs to
section 18.2.1.

Eventually, we may end up with one chapter on reading electronic mail
with FreeBSD. (in Part I of the Handbook), and another chapter on
using various MTAs with FreeBSD (Postfix, sendmail, etc..) in Part II
of the Handbook.