Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:06:03 -0500
From:      sn1tch <dot.sn1tch@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security logs being mailed to root

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:34:36 -0600, Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:
> exp@netbox.yi.org wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:59:45AM -0500, sn1tch wrote:
> >

> >>When I ran FBSD 5.2.1 I used to get the daily, weekly, and monthly
> >>security logs and such mailed to root...now since I did a clean
> >>install with 5.3 I no longer get anything, when I log in I have no
> >>mail...what gives? I enjoyed reading them .. is there a way to get
> >>that functionality back?
> >>

> >>Thanks,
> >>Joe
> >>

> >5.3 also does this by default.  Are you sure your computer
> >is turned on at the times these mails are sent, in /etc/crontab?
> >

> And ...
>
> If the logs and such exist, then syslogd is probably OK.  Otherwise
> check syslogd first.
>
> Next, make sure that crond is running.  Don't know why it wouldn't
> be, be might as well check.
>
> Then, check sendmail.  Depending on settings, this might be the
> issue.  If syslogd is working as expected, you should find a note
> in /var/mail/maillog (about 3:0x a.m. system time) that shows a mail
> going to "root@somebox.tld".
>
> Which brings us to /etc/mail/aliases.  Is the alias for "root" pointing
> to your email address?
>
> I'm sure there's stuff I may have missed as well, but here's the start
> of a debug checklist.
>
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Kinsey

Crontab doesnt have any listings and rc.conf shows this...

sendmail_enable="NONE"
syslogd_flags="-ss"

and in /etc/periodic there are dail weekly monthly and security
folders. I chose not to build sendmail at all, or any type of mail
server for that matter, but why would that affect it because a friend
of mine has a fresh install of 5.3 and he gets the logs, no problems.
Would a specific option in a custom kernel cause it to not send.

syslog.conf shows

security.*                                      /var/log/security

is there anything else I can show you guys/girls to help out?

Thanks for the help