Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:37:08 +0100
From:      Georg Auernhammer <rusisnoc@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scanning docs into pdf format

Chip Wiegand:
> > I'm scanning pics (lots) with sane,
>
> On FreeBSD I assume.

Yes; your scanner is available on the network via a FreeBSD-Machine.
Windoof cant handle it, so i use FreeBSD for remote scanning.
(the computer with the scanner is just a server, not a workstation;))

> > edit them with Photoshop
>
> In Windblows?
> Or Gimp in FreeBSD?

Windoof; Gimp has a lot features less than Adobe, e.g free-rotate.

> > and process them with a latex2pdf script
>
> Again, in FreeBSD, right?

Yes. You can use MikTex on Windoof, but compiling is easier on FreeBSD,
IMHO.

> > But the PDF's are really big, just as PS.
> > so i have to send them again through the Adobe Destiller, to get small
> > files.
>
> Distiller on Windoze? or is there a version for FreeBSD?

Sorry, but Adobe Distiller Server is only available for Windoof:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrdis/systemreqs.html

> > non-Editing and just-Postsrcipting would be made on FreeBSD.
> > But everything else..buy a MAC
> > ;))
>
> Yeah, I guess it comes down to use the right tool for the job. I'd like
> to be able to use FreeBSD for this job if possible, otherwise I'll just
> stick with NT for this work, and use FreeBSD for other work.

Don't create monocultures
;)
You _can_ use FreeBSD, remote scanning , TeXing, but this could also be
done by Windoof.
But IMHO: never change a running system
;)
Use NT for this job and FreeBSD for real work
:))

--
Georg Auernhammer
Benutzerberater RUS, Admin Institut für Geophysik