Date:      02 Feb 2002 14:37:56 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mike@worklife.com
Subject:   Re: upgrade 4.4 stable to 4.5 stable

mike@worklife.com ("Mike Kanaly") writes:

> Ok, I've been following the instructions here at
> http://www.defcon1.org/html/Software_Articles/Commands-Flags/cvsup-build
> /cvsup-build.html in order to upgrade 4.4 stable to 4.5 stable.

[...]

> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

You're not following the directions in the handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

The short version is that you should use "make buildkernel" to build
your kernel, but you're probably missing several other steps as well,
so I'd recommend reading the official documentation.  The article
you're following describes a procedure that will work most of the
time, but not (as you've seen) all of the time.

Good luck.