Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:48:20 -0500
From:      "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org>
To:        Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: greetings from FreeBSD DLL Hell!

* Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com> [2005-03-23 18:21:05 -0800]:
> Packages are built to work with the particular release specified. Once
> ports are unfrozen, right before release, they start changing again,
> and updating new packages for all ports for every minor version bump in
> the tree is not viable at the moment (12000+ ports), AFAIK, nor would
> it be in line with freezing ports before release.

Yeah, this was the one thing I didn't understand about packages. I just
assumed it would do the right thing and download the latest version.

> > now I seem to find myself in the FreeBSD equivalent of "DLL Hell".
> > Should I just blow my system away and start from scratch? Is that
> > the best course of action to take at this point?
>
> You don't need to reinstall the OS, but it might be simpler for you if
> you deleted all the packages, with pkg_delete -a (from root).

That's what I ended up doing. I deleted all my packages. installed only
the ones I absolutely needed (in my case: zsh, vim, and cvsup), upgraded
ports, and then went from there.

Thank for your help.

Thomas

--