Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 00:25:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Steve Roome <stephen_roome@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Niek Bergboer <niek@bergboer.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tagged Command Queuing support for IC-35L0?0 ?

Steve Roome wrote:
> > Can these newer drives, based on the IC-35L0?0-chipset, also be used
> > with TCQ enabled in FBSD? (? is 2, 4 or 6 depending on whether the
> > drive has 20, 40 or 60 GB capacity).
> =

> I've got one of these :
> =

> ad0: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
> =

> If I turn tagged queueing on, I get an awful lot of write failures and
> ata timeouts and whatnot. Basically it just doesn't work. **For me**
> =

> I'm not blaming S=F8ren Schmidt here! it could be due to broken
> hardware, code or just my sheer incompetence, but in the end I gave up
> trying, it didn't work with my last drive either, and that was a 30GP
> type drive (don't remember the model number though).
> =

> As far as I remember there are apparently problems with some of these
> drives in terms of whether they even work when they leave the factory,
> but I've only ever heard that here (make what you want of that).

Search for "tagged command queueing" and "DLTA" and "IBM";
you will be rewarded with many horror storries about the
drive electronics not being able to keep up on these drives,
when writing near the spindle.  This normally doesn't happen
until the disk is almost full, with Windows FS's, which will
usually place your machine "safely" out of warranty.

-- Terry