Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:21:01 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Should a corrupt floppy disk cause a panic?

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 07:21:51PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> Yes, when a panic occurs (deep in a non-ffs routine, due to memory
> corruption caused by using invalid data from the disk), it is easy
> for the system to unwind the state to when the error occurred and
> make ffs wait there ;-).

That doesn't really matter for the 'should' side of this - ideally, it
should not always panic() for those corrupted filesystems.  This
should not be too hard to fix, either - install invariant checks
before exiting the FFS routines.  Unfortunately, I've not yet found
anything that document those invariants, or the on-disk format of FFS.
I've seen papers that hint at these, but no actual exact documentation
(without reading the code to see what it does, which hardly is
documentation, and has to be repeated each time you have to know).

Eivind.